Security Message for U.S. Citizens
Political Rallies in Brazzaville
March 16, 2016
The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that two large political rallies are expected to occur in Brazzaville in the vicinity of Massamba-Debat Stadium and Boulevard des Armées on Thursday, March 17, and Friday, March 18. Transportation may be disrupted and a large security presence is likely. The U.S. Embassy cautions U.S. citizens to be highly vigilant about personal security and to avoid rally areas.
The Republic of Congo will hold presidential elections throughout the country on Sunday,
March 20 and the U.S. Embassy expects that, as is customary, the Government of the Republic of Congo will issue a decree prohibiting vehicular traffic on that date. The U.S. Embassy recommends U.S. citizens maintain a high level of security awareness leading up to, during, and following the election date.
Remember, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Congo.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Brazzaville, located at 70-83 Boulevard Denis Sassou Nguesso, Brazzaville, Congo, at +242-06-612-2000, 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. from Monday – Thursday; 8.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+242) 06-612-2010.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.