U.S. Embassy Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
May 18, 2017
The U.S. Embassy in Brazzaville informs U.S. citizens of reports of possible attacks against security personnel and civilians in several districts in the Pool Region and a heavy security presence in various areas. Please review the map on our website where armed confrontations and attacks have been reported in the last few months. Avoid these areas and exercise caution when traveling anywhere in the Pool Region. Carry proper identification, including a copy of your U.S. passport.
Although there have been no specific incidents of violence or threats targeting U.S. citizens, review your personal security and preparedness plans, exercise caution, and stay current with media coverage of local events. Remain vigilant; and avoid large gatherings and areas where there is a heavy security presence. Maintain a high level of awareness and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Congo.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Republic of Congo, located at 70-83 Boulevard Denis Sassou Nguesso in Brazzaville at +242-06-612-2000, 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. from Monday – Thursday; 8.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+242) 06-612-2010.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.