The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that the official presidential election campaign period begins on March 4 with the election scheduled for March 20 in the Republic of Congo. Political tensions may increase before, during and after the election.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid areas of political rallies, demonstrations, and protests. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Congo.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Brazzaville, located at 70-83 Boulevard Denis Sassu Nguesso, Brazzaville, Congo, at +242-06-612-200, 8.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. from Monday – Thursday; 8.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+242) 06-612-2010.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.