Message for U.S. Citizens: Presidential swearing in ceremony
Event: On Friday April 16, President Denis Sassou N’Guesso will be sworn in at the Palais des Congrés. Several heads of state will attend the ceremony and will arrive and depart within 24 hours of the ceremony. Roads may be blocked and transportation, including commercial air travel, could be disrupted. Due to the expectation of heavy traffic jams around the airport, the embassy and throughout the city center on Friday from 09:00 to 16:00, U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid those areas during these hours and to work from home when possible. Consular services will be limited to emergency services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Have adequate food, water, fuel, and other necessary supplies for several days in case security conditions require you to stay home.
- Give yourself extra time if you are traveling to the airport.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to the Republic of the Congo:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s webpage regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Always carry a copy of your U.S. passport and visa (if applicable). Keep original documents in a secure location.
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for the Republic of the Congo.
- Have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Brazzaville, Boulevard Denis Sassou Nguesso, Brazzaville, +(242) 06 612 20 00 or +(242) 06 612 20 10, BrazzavilleACS@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Republic of Congo Country Information
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.