Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Brazzaville (March 06, 2020)
Location: Republic of Congo
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
On “March 15”, the Congolese Ministry of Health confirmed the first case of Covid-19 in the Republic of Congo. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
State local government actions: All passengers, including passengers in transit, coming from the People’s Republic of China, South Korea, Iran, France and Italy will be quarantined upon arrival and release after fourteen (14) days if they test negative to the virus. Passengers testing positive will receive treatment. The Congolese government also indicated that they are planning to extend the quarantine to passengers coming from the United States but have not yet indicated a start date.
Actions to Take: Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 ( https://cg.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ ) for information on conditions in Congo.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- U.S. Embassy/Consulate Brazzaville, Congo
+(242) 06 612 20 00 or +(242) 06 612 20 10
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.